CFP: "Forging Feminist Pathways in the Trump Era: Sustaining Women In/Out of Academic Spaces"
The Women's Caucus of the South Central Modern Language Association invites individual submissions for a sponsored session panel on "Forging Feminist Pathways in the Trump Era: Sustaining Women In/Out of Academic Spaces" to be held at the annual SCMLA conference in Little Rock, AR on October 24-26, 2019.
In the interests of keeping the panel open to a wide array of literary, cultural, pedagogical, community-building/sustaining, activist, queer, and feminist perspectives across varying insitutional contexts and structures, we offer a few broad stroke descriptions for possible topics:
- Narrativizing challenges to feminist ethics/ethos in the classroom;
- Mobilizing women’s institutional advancements and legacies as inspiration for student action and faculty accountability;
- Destabilizing heteronormativity and authoritarianism in a “post-feminist world”;
- The genesis and evolution of the 2017 Women’s March and classroom discussions centering pitfalls and potentialities around gendered social movements;
- Imaginative futures and present realities in the fight for transformative activism;
- Social vulnerabilities and individual traumas in the ongoing terrorization of gender;
- Pedagogical perspectives on the gendered aspects of nationalism;
- Faculty resistance to student pushback/administrative threats against the feminist goals and aims that undergird the fields of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies social justice;
- Accounts of Twitter and social media harassment and the multifaceted implications of disruptive discourse;
- The university role in protecting academic freedom and expression amidst a culture of affective calls for protecting public speech;
- Precarity and power within and beyond the university: are we countering or reinforcing systemic inequalities?
To submit, email a proposed title and an abstract of no more than 250 words, along with a brief biographical statement or curriculum vitae, to the session organizer and caucus chair, Dr. Jaime Cantrell. Proposals have a deadline of 5pm CST on March 29th, 2019.
We kindly ask that you circulate this CFP to your program and departmental listservs where appropriate, so that the SCMLA Women's Caucus will receive a large number of engaging submissions.
Dr. Jaime Cantrell
Assistant Professor of English
Texas A&M University Texarkana
Chair, Women's Caucus of the SCMLA