The 14th Annual Conference of the North American Levinas Society
Drake University - Des Moines, Iowa
July 23 - 26, 2019
NALS welcomes submissions on all topics relevant to the work of Emmanuel Levinas, but we especially encourage topics that address the conference theme, “Vulnerability,” including but not limited to:
• Vulnerability and responsibility
• Vulnerability in Levinas’s conception of the subject
• Vulnerability, agency, and freedom
• Levinas and bodily vulnerability, as related, for example, to issues of aging, illness, and disability
• Collective vulnerability, as related, for example, to climate change and species extinction
• Vulnerability and violence
• Vulnerability and coloniality
• The gendered aspects of vulnerability
• Vulnerability and immigration, vulnerability at borders, etc.
ALL PROPOSALS ARE DUE FEBRUARY 28, 2019.
Please prepare materials for blind review and send them via email attachment by February 28, 2019, to the conference host, Leah Kalmanson (email@example.com), with the subject “NALS 2019 Proposal." All submissions will be acknowledged, and notifications of acceptance will be sent out by March 15, 2019, along with information on conference registration.
Individual Paper Proposals should be 200–300 words for a 15–20 minute presentation.
Panel Proposals should be 400 words for 75–90 minute panel sessions. Please include on separate cover the session title and name of organizer or panel chair, along with participants’ names, institutional affiliations, disciplines or departments.
Please direct all inquiries concerning the conference to the conference host, Leah Kalmanson (firstname.lastname@example.org). General questions regarding the Society should be directed to Erik Garret, NALS President (email@example.com) or Dara Hill, NALS Executive Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org).