The Humanities Center at Texas Tech University invites applications for a Spring, 2020 Visiting Scholar Fellowship. Scholars in any Humanities field are welcome to apply, but special consideration will be given to applicants who plan to use libraries, archives, and other resources at Texas Tech and/or the Lubbock area. The selected Fellow will ideally hold the Ph.D., but an exceptional ABD would be considered. Applications are due via email no later than March 31, 2019.
The dates for the Fellow's term will be January 15th through May 15th, 2020. The Fellowship carries a stipend of $12,000, which can be used for any purpose. No additional allowances beyond the stipend will be available. The Fellow will be provided with an office and full library privileges, including access to online databases and interlibrary loan services. Housing is not included, but the Humanities Center can assist with finding housing. The Fellow will give a public lecture on their research during the term of the Fellowship, and will be expected to attend and participate in Center events, and to interact as appropriate with other faculty, particularly in their own area.
The Fellow will be expected to:
- Work in residence on the TTU Lubbock campus on a full-time basis during the award tenure;
- Devote full-time effort to the research proposed;
- Draft a brief written report (800-1,000 words) describing their experiences and their results, to be submitted no later than thirty days following the award period;
- Prepare and deliver to the TTU community a 45-minute presentation detailing the results of their research;
- Include appropriate credit to the Humanities Center at Texas Tech in any presentation or publication based on research performed during the award tenure.
To apply, please send the following in a single PDF file attachment:
- An abstract of no more than 80 words describing your project.
- A narrative of no more than 750 words describing your project, and how, specifically, you propose to use your time if selected for the Fellowship.
- A C.V. of no more than 3 pages with an emphasis on work showing your suitability for undertaking the project you propose.
- The names and contact information of four people whom we may contact for recommendations. Brief descriptions of their work/discipline and relationship to the candidate would be appreciated.
Upon request, the TTU Humanities Center will help arrange for appropriate visa documents for foreign nationals. A visiting Fellow would be granted the status of "Foreign Exchange Visitor" (J-visa). A spouse and minor children may travel on the same visa as the scholar. The Humanities Center encourages foreign scholars to apply for the J-1 visa as per the standard procedures for visiting research scholars visiting the United States. We do not encourage scholars to apply for B or H visas.
Send your application to email@example.com. In the subject line, please include your last name and "Sp 2020 external fellow app". The deadline is March 31, 2019. The recipient will be informed by mid-May 2019.