The Pilecki Institute has the pleasure to announce a call for papers for an international and interdisciplinary conference entitled “The New Dawn of Europe after the Great War: the Theory of the State and Genocide in the 20th Century”.
We invite submissions concerning the following issues and topic areas:
1. The foundations of modern Europe – systemic and legal changes in the 19th and 20th centuries.
2. Legal challenges after the Great War: new states and a new international order. From the treaties to the League of Nations.
3. Between the New Orders of Versailles and Yalta – proposed definitions of the state based on the rule of law.
4. The school of law in Poland – a melting pot of nations, cultures and religions. People – traditions – accomplishments.
5. The origin of Raphael Lemkin’s thought.
6. Characterization of the basic philosophical currents and legal solutions concerning the state, elaborated in Poland and the rest of Europe in the first half of the 20th century.
7. Totalitarianism and the law. Legal systems and the political and legal doctrines of totalitarian states in the 20th century – similarities and differences.
8. Genocide in the considerations of Lemkin and his contemporaries.
9. From Versailles to Nuremberg – the most horrific lesson in the history of man and the challenges for the future.
• The conference will be held in English and Polish (the Organizer provides interpreting services).
• Time frame for each presentation – 15 minutes.
• We welcome submissions from professional scholars and doctoral students.
• All applications should be submitted by email via our Application Form (see below).
• The deadline for applications is 17 March 2019.
• The participants will be asked to submit written versions of their papers for a post-conference publication; each paper should be no longer than 5,000 words.
• We can offer a limited number of travel grants of up to 500 euros.
• The conference is free of charge.
If you would like to take part in our conference, please fill in the Application Form and send it along with a short email to firstname.lastname@example.org You will be notified of acceptance by 15 April 2019. Should you have any questions, please write to: email@example.com