The 13th edition of the conference on sport in Africa in Dakar, Senegal, June 20-22, 2019, will be an opportunity to reflect on sport beyond the celebrations of national sporting victories, the fixation on elite sport, and the popularity of a few famous athletes.
What role do the various formal and informal, private and public institutions, such as schools, universities, football academies, federations, ministries, sports-for-all NGOs and mass sport play and should play? Could sport deliver to societies in Africa the social cohesion, national unity, social and economic development that proponents often claim or assume?
The organizers call for meaningful reflections and critical debates on the position and role of sport in African societies around the themes below (but not limited to).
- Sport and History, evolution et mutations
- Sport facing cohesion or national and community rivalries
- Symbolic relations between athletes and society
- Sport and nationalist and sectarian sentiments
- Immigration, nation, and identity discourse in sport
- Sport in the face of violence and insecurity
- Physical education and its place in national sport and society in general
- School and university sport and their role in national policies
- The noninstitutionalized actors of sport and their role
- Gender, race, disability and sexual orientation inclusion in sport
- Sports and socioeconomic concerns
- Sport and public health
- Impact of hosting sport megaevents (e.g. Youth Olympics in Senegal 2022)
The conference organizers invite abstracts from disciplines of social sciences and humanities, including but not limited to anthropology, history, sociology, geography, political science, political economy, public health and economics. We encourage presentations highlighting experiences from the field and practical case-studies to enrich debates on African sport studies.
Call for Papers: http://sportinafrica.org/conference2019/index.php/appel-a-contribution-call-for-papers/
Abstract submission details and submission form: http://sportinafrica.org/conference2019/index.php/appel-a-contribution-call-for-papers/
- February 17, 2019 Submission for panel presentation and roundtable abstracts closes
- March 17, 2019 Notifications sent
- April 15, 2019 online registration opens
- April 30, 2019 Final date to registe.
For more information, submission of abstracts and registration details, please visit the official website of the Conference: http://sportinafrica.org/conference2019
To contact the organizing committee of the conference, please send an email to: sportsafricaUFS@gmail.com