labexmed mediterranean workshops cycle
workshop organized by the french school at athens and labexmed
call for proposals
location: French School at Athens (Ecole française d'Athènes)
date: June 7th 2019
Since the publication of Les lieux de mémoire (1984-1992), the link between nation and heritage has been extensively treated. This workshop seeks to explore processes related to classical heritage dynamics: the emergence and day-to-day existence of sets of objects, papers and places which are then incorporated into the heritage field by indirect means, often leaving it necessary to trace their often peculiar history and reception. The contemporary Mediterranean offers a privileged observatory to consider these phenomena on the scale of a vast territory, of shifting borders and fluid affiliations, in a world in perpetual reconfiguration between governance regimes, social dynamics, and unstable international relations.
We propose three axes of reflection:
- The circulation of religious or secular objects from one territory to another and from one institution to another is sometimes accompanied by changes in meaning, usage, and appropriation which deserve in-depth analysis.
- Institutional dynamics often combine political projects with private initiatives emanating from learned societies, political pressure groups, or ethnic or cultural communities.
- Through their confinement, elimination and interpretation, archives and their fate illustrate the central place of the control of historical narration, and how the analysis of material collections can enlighten this process.
proposal submission timeline
Closing date for submissions: February 17th 2019
Notice of acceptance: March 3rd 2019
Workshop: June 7th 2019. A meeting of the participants about the steps to follow after the workshop will take place on June 8th.
- title and abstract of the paper (maximum 3,000 characters)
- CV listing publications
- full contact details (email address, mail address, phone number)
Communication languages: French or English (knowledge of French is essential)
Travel and accommodation will be covered by LabexMed and catering arranged by the French School at Athens.
scientific committee: Tassos Anastassiadis, Angelos Dalachanis, Cyril Isnard, Brigitte Marin, Pierre Pinchon, Mercedes Volait
organizing committee: Angelos Dalachanis, Annabelle Gallin, Carlotta Tavormina
Angelos Dalachanis, Research fellow of the French School at Athens