Central European University, Budapest and Vienna
The Department of Medieval Studies at the Central European University is pleased to announce its call for applications for graduate programs:
• 1-year MA in Late Antique, Medieval and Early Modern Studies (10 months, 12-14 students admitted / year)
• 2-year MA in Comparative History: Late Antique, Medieval and Renaissance Studies in collaboration with the Department of History (20 months, 10-12 students / year)
• PhD in Late Antique, Medieval and Early Modern Studies (3 to 6 years, 5-6 students / year)
offering tuition waivers and scholarships for the majority of students.
We provide comparative and multi-disciplinary postgraduate education on all aspects of the history and culture of the period between c.300 and c.1600, including the following fields of study:
• Art history
• Environmental and landscape studies
• Hagiography and religious studies
• Late Antique and Byzantine studies
• Manuscript studies and palaeography
• Material culture
• Medieval Judaism
• Ottoman studies
• Philosophy and theology
• Political history and political thought
• Social and economic history
• Urban history
We also offer a two-year MA program in Cultural Heritage Studies. Although part of the Department of Medieval Studies, this truly global and interdisciplinary program is not focused exclusively on the Middle Ages.
In 1991 CEU was founded with a mission. That mission—educating free minds for a free society—is more urgent than ever. We recently announced our decision to open a new campus in Vienna in September 2019, because the current legal and political environment made our US degree programs impossible to operate in Hungary. In our new multi-campus arrangement commencing in the academic year 2019/20, we now offer our world-ranked master’s and doctoral programs with US accreditation to all incoming students in Vienna. Teaching will take place in two locations: returning students will continue their studies in Budapest, and the incoming student cohort will be enrolled in Vienna but spend part of their academic year studying at our accredited Hungarian facility in Budapest.
Interested applicants can contact us at email@example.com, and the department's recruitment assistant and current PhD student, Dunja Milenkovic, is also happy to answer further questions at Milenkovic_Dunja@phd.ceu.edu.