The Heritage Management Organization
Training Heritage Leaders
Executive Leadership Development in Heritage Management Workshops
Personal Interpretation for Natural and Cultural Heritage
25 February-2 March, 2019
Location: The Heritage Management Organization Headquarters, Kimonos 11 & Pagkalou streets, 19200, Elefsina, Greece
Heritage Interpretation is a structured approach to non-formal learning, specialized in communicating significant ideas about a place to visitors. In this six-day course, participants will familiarize themselves with the principles of a quality based method for Heritage Interpretation and will practice how to perform personal interpretation on their own.
Through interactive exercises, presentations and discussions, participants will learn how to turn phenomena into experiences, provoke resonance in visitors of heritage sites, offer paths to deeper meaning and foster respect for all heritage, as well as how to give and receive feedback on their own performances.
Participants will have the opportunity to obtain a certificate as Interpretive Guides from Interpret Europe – the European Association for Heritage Interpretation. To do so, they will be asked to perform an interpretive talk, present a peer-review exercise, compete a short written test and deliver a homework task (their own plan for an interpretive walk based on a real interpretive project), under the guidance of the instructor.
The workshop’s instructor, Valya Stergioti, is a freelance interpretive trainer and planner. She has more than 20 years of experience on organizing and implementing interpretive workshops about heritage for adults and children. She works in collaboration with different NGOs and other institutions all over Greece and has more than 10 years’ experience in adult training. As Interpret Europe’s Training Coordinator, along with the members of the Training Team, she is responsible for the creation and implementation of a quality, interpretive training program that will meet the needs of heritage professionals from all over Europe. Valya is inspired by the influence that heritage interpretation can have on individuals and is always looking for new ways to enrich and improve her training activities.
- Suggested donation for participation: 1500 Euros (tuition, refreshments and light lunch).
- A. G. Leventis Foundation scholarships (partial or full coverage towards tuition, board and accommodation) will be available for heritage managers working on (broadly defined) Greek cultural heritage (excluding airfare/travel expenses and our Organization’s 2019 membership fee).
- J. M. Kaplan Foundation Scholarships (partial or full coverage towards tuition and accommodation) will be available for individuals actively involved in the research, study and promotion of a) the sites of Corinth, Delos, Larisa Olympia, Pylos, and Sparta in Greece; b) the site of Stobi in FYROM; c) the site of Tipasa in Algeria (excluding airfare/travel expenses and our Organization’s 2019 membership fee)
- Various other scholarships as well as Heritage Management Organization scholarships for participation will be available for qualified candidates (excluding airfare/travel expenses and our Organization’s 2019 membership fee).
To apply for this workshop please:
- 1) fill in and submit the Executive Leadership Program in Heritage Management Application Form
- 2) after receiving confirmation of receipt of your application, complete the application process by submitting your curriculum vitae, personal statement and reference letter (which may come in separately by your referee at their earliest convenience). All your application documents may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should not exceed 750 words in total and your curriculum vitae should be up to 1000 words maximum.
- 3) reasonable proficiency in spoken and written English is required to attend the course. In order to assess it, applicants will be asked to participate in a personal (spoken) interview.
After approval of their application file, participants will receive an official letter outlining in detail the conditions of participation. Heritage Management Organization Membership is required for participation in all of our Organization’s Executive Leadership in Heritage Management Workshops. Recipients of scholarships for participation in this workshop are (generally) required to pay the general membership fee (100 Euros).
Spaces for this workshop are limited, so please apply early. The application deadline is Friday 25 January 2019.
For questions regarding the application process and the administrative aspects of the course, contact Dr. Eleni Drakaki at email@example.com
Dr. Eleni Drakaki
Officer of Programs
The Heritage Management Organization (HERITΛGE)