I am looking for panelists for my session on experiencing hearing and non-hearing in technology and art for 2019 Media Art History RE:SOUND conference, which will be held in Aalborg University (Denmark) on August 20-23, 2019. This session is part of Track 4: Art and Technology: Methodologies, Practices, Histories. More information about the track can be found here.
I propose two paths to explore the hearing/non-hearing theme:
The first one is related to do the physical condition of non-hearing, namely the deafness, such as:
- past, present and future of sound amplification
- the impact of deaf-targeted amplifying equipment on mainstream technology (e.g. cybernetics, sound film)
- the deaf experience of sound and music (e.g. vibrations, amplification)
- the “translation” of music into signing
- usage of deaf-targeted instruments in art
The second path relates to deliberate non-hearing, especially in urban public spaces:
- practices of isolation from unwanted/unpleasant/threatening sounds
- both everyday and artistic strategies of sound elimination or selection
- architectural aspects of creating quiet or soundproof rooms and spaces
- headphones, walkman, ipod… - the tools of sound elimination and selection
- hearing and non-hearing in different cultural contexts
I warmly invite you to consider addressing abovementioned themes but – as it is just a partial list of pertinent topics - proposals on other issues related to hearing/non-hearing in technology and art are very welcomed.
Those who consider contributing to this or another thematic session at Media Art History are responsible to submit their abstracts on their own. However, I recommend you to contact me first at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about the conference in general or about other featured session, please go to http://www.mediaarthistory.org/resound-maincall. On the top of the page there is a link to the conference registration system. Proposals should consist of a 300-word abstract and a short bio. All proposals will undergo a double blind review by the Program Commitee. The deadline for submitting the abstract submission is 1st November, but in in case you need more time, please let me know.
The International Conference on the Histories of Media Art, Science and Technology – RE:SOUND is hosted by RELATE (Research Laboratory for Art and Technology), Aalborg University and will be held August 20-23, 2019 in partnership with the STRUER Sound Art Festival and CATCH – Center for Art & Tech in Elsinor.
Jagiellonian University, Poland