Call for papers. Invitation to submit papers for the panel 'Art as Ethnography/Ethnography as Art' (P002) as part of the forthcoming international conference Art, Materiality and Representation to be held at the British Museum and SOAS (London) in June 2018.
Papers should cover but are not limited to the following themes:
- the role of the expeditionary artists in constructing anthropological knowledge
- incidental illustrative imagery as found in the archive, e.g. museum accession records, diagrammartic and illustrative images used in online media, curators' drawings etc.
- auto-ethnographical image making and the convergence of Western and non-Western artistic practices (e.g. North American Indian ledger art)
- Modernist artists' visual accounts of ethnographic materials, and Modernist artistic interest in world cultures more broadly
- visual encounters in and through museums and/or exhibitions
- visuial codes and the semiotics of representing others' cultures
- amateur art with ethnographnic content
- ethnographic sketches in fieldnotes: their role in anthropological knowledge and their artistic merit
- didactic illustrations with ethnographic content (e.g. textbooks, marketing, publicity, leaflets and posters)
- drawing elicitation as anthropological method, and the study of local visual idioms through graphic arts
Anthropology Library and Research Centre
The Biritsh Museum
Great Russell Street
London WC1B 3DG