Date: Thursday, Oct 5, 2017
Time: 6:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. (doors open at 6:00 p.m.)
Venue: Temple University, Japan Campus, Azabu Hall 1F Parliament (access: http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps/tokyo.html)
Speakers: 2 former US prisoners of War in Japan and 6 family members (2 widows and 4 children)
Moderator: Robert Dujarric, Director of ICAS
Admission: Free. Open to the public.
RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org (RSVP not required, but encouraged)
We are happy to invite you to a special event with two former American prisoners of war (POW) and six family members. They will be visiting Japan at the invitation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as part of a cultural diplomacy program that started in 2010. The program, entitled “2017 The Japanese/POW Friendship Program”, seeks to promote a mutual understanding between the Japanese and American people by inviting former POWs, their family members, and caregivers to Japan as a gesture of reconciliation.
Two former POWs will share stories about their experiences as prisoners in Japan during the War. Family members of other POWs will also be present to share the stories of their fathers and husbands.
- Mr. Henry Chamberlain (U.S. Air Force)
- Mr. Walter Straka (U.S. Army)
- Ms. Doris Jean Pruitt, widow of Mr. Charles L. Pruitt (U.S. Navy)
- Ms. Shirley Emerson Steele, widow of Mr. Charles Steele (U.S. Army)
- Mr. John Whitehurst, son of Mr. Collin B. Whitehurst Jr. (U.S. Army)
- Mr. Joe Brown, son of Mr. Charles D. Brown (U.S. Army)
- Ms. Mary Blaine, daughter of Mr. John J. McCorts (U.S. Army)
- Ms. Caroline Burkhart, daughter of Mr. Thomas F. Burkhart (U.S. Army)
It has been an honor for ICAS to host the American POWs and their families for seven consecutive years.