Fandom and Neomedia Studies (FANS) Association Military Studies Area
Call for Papers
It is our pleasure to announce a Call for Papers for the new Fandom and Neomedia Studies (FANS) Association Military Studies Area. This area will examine the interplay between the military and media, broadly construed.
Topics may include but are not limited to:
- (Mis)Representations of military actions and personnel in media
- Fictional military organizations
- Military re-enactors
- War and/or military themed video games
- Interplay of technology between real and fictional military groups
- Military in fiction
- Fiction in the military
- Military technology and tactics affected by fiction
- Military oral culture
- Weaponization of media
- Autonomous and/or remotely operated military hardware
- Military intelligence
Submissions are open to current and honorably discharged members of the military, national guard, uniformed auxiliaries, or equivalents outside the US, or unremarried widows thereof, scholars of military studies, and the general public. Submissions must conform to the FANS Style Guide. Accepted items will be published in our journal, The Phoenix Papers (ISSN 2325-2316) and authors will be invited to attend our annual conference.
To be considered for publication and/or presentation at our annual conference in June 2018, please submit a copy of your article with abstract and full professional CV/resume to us. The deadline for submission is 15 April 2018.
- Daniel Slater, Co-Chair
- Jeffrey MacHott, Co-Chair
- Calvin Ballenger
- Tim Glissen
- J. Holder Bennett
3000 Custer Rd.
Plano, TX 75075