The Forum Transregionale Studien and the Max Weber Stiftung – Deutsche Geisteswissenschaftliche Institute im Ausland (MWS) invite scholars to explore their research questions and develop innovative projects within the framework of Exploratory Workshops. We offer open and flexible formats, strong scholarly networks, and support in conceptual development and funding, while taking care of all practical organization.
Exploratory Workshops provide a team of 15–20 scholars with diverse regional and disciplinary expertise with an intensive small-scale setting to probe and generate ideas and research questions. We support workshops that address issues from a transregional perspective and include international researchers. The submitted projects need to have the potential for developing follow-up projects. In 2018 and 2019, the joint project of the Forum and the MWS is focusing on the interrelations of ‘Mobility – Knowledge – Society’. Therefore we are looking forward to applicants who approach these thematic fields through diverse regional and disciplinary angles.
Eligibility: This call addresses particularly postdocs and early stage researchers. Applicants must hold a doctoral degree in the field of social sciences or humanities and be currently affiliated with a German university or research institute (including German institutes abroad).
- Please submit a proposal for a workshop (max. 1 500 words) while explaining the originality of your project, and how it relates to the transregional research agenda of the Forum Transregionale Studien and the Max Weber Stiftung, and how it meets the criteria mentioned above. To apply, fill in the fact sheet and send proposals in German or English along with your curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 29th, 2018 (all in one PDF document). Applicants will be notified of the results by the end of September 2018.
- Upon acceptance of your application you will be invited to co-develop the event. The Forum provides full financial and organizational support but also welcomes projects that involve matching funding and institutional collaboration. Workshops should preferably take place at the Forum in Berlin.
- The Forum and MWS pursue an open access publication strategy and offer a scholarly publication platform (perspectivia.net) and other digital channels for the dissemination of the discussions and results of workshops.
- The organizers of the workshops must submit an evaluation report within one month of the event’s completion.
- Applicants are advised to consult the Forum website and the TRAFO-Blog for information regarding the formats of past Exploratory Workshops. On our website you also find FAQs.
The events are organized within the framework of the cooperative project “Transregionale Forschung” of the Forum Transregionale Studien and Max Weber Stiftung – Deutsche Geisteswissenschaftliche Institute im Ausland supported by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
Contact: Botakoz Kassymbekova and Alix Winter
Telephone: +49 (0)30 89001 424