$5,000 Biennial Book Publication Prize, Presented by the University of Utah Press
The Wallace Stegner Prize will be awarded to the best monograph submitted to the Press in the broad field of environmental humanities. To compete for this award, manuscripts must emphasize interdisciplinary investigations of the natural and human environments and their fundamental interconnectedness, research in primary and secondary sources, and high quality writing in the tradition of Wallace Stegner. Preference will be given to projects that discuss issues related to the American West. We welcome book-length manuscripts that emphasize narrative form and draw on the humanities, as well as the particular methods and perspectives of history, geography, natural history, environmental science, creative nonfiction, or related disciplines to consider environmental subjects, broadly defined. These criteria reflect the legacy of Wallace Stegner as a student of the American West, as a spokesman for the environment, and as a teacher of creative writing. The winner of the Wallace Stegner Prize will receive a $5,000 award and a publication contract with the University of Utah Press.
Submission deadlines are in odd numbered years.
Stegner Prize Judges:
Peter J. Blodgett, H. Russell Smith Foundation Curator of Western American History, Huntington Library
Robert B. Keiter, Wallace Stegner Professor of Law and Director, Wallace Stegner Center for Land, Resources, and the Environment, University of Utah
Stephen Trimble, award-winning photographer and writer, author of twenty-two books.
2017 Prize Submission Guidelines
- Manuscripts must be in English and double-spaced in a 12-point font and should include contemplated figures. Photocopies of figures are acceptable for initial consideration.
- Manuscript length is limited to a maximum of 170,000 words.
- Manuscripts must be postmarked by December 30, 2017. Early submissions are encouraged. If you desire proof of delivery, send the manuscript using a delivery confirmation service.
- Manuscripts that do not win the Wallace Stegner Prize will also be considered for book publication.
- Works simultaneously submitted to other publishers or contests will not be considered.
- Portions of submitted manuscripts may have appeared previously in journals or anthologies, but previously published monographs will not be considered.
- The competition is open to all authors except current students, faculty, and staff of the University of Utah as well as current and former employees of The University of Utah Press.
- All submissions should include a cover letter indicating that this is a submission for the Wallace Stegner Prize, the complete manuscript including all illustrations and supplementary materials, and a c.v. or resumé.
- The winning manuscript will be announced by The University of Utah Press in September 2018.
Please send all submissions to:
The University of Utah Press
c/o The Wallace Stegner Prize
J. Willard Marriott Library
295 South 1500 East, Suite 5400
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112-0860
For more information, please contact Hannah new at email@example.com
The University of Utah Press
295 South 1500 East, Ste 5400
SLC, Utah 84112