RSA Central and Eastern European Conference 2017
10th – 13th September 2017, Babeş-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Abstract submission deadline: 16th June 2017
Over the last decades new patterns of regional disparities and polarisation have developed in Central and Eastern European (CEE) countries, drawing the attention of both researchers and policy-makers. Cohesion Policy responded to this challenge by focusing on balanced spatial development of the European regions. However, although achieving significant progress in developing towards the EU-average, CEE still faces serious internal spatial imbalances between metropolitan and non-metropolitan areas, between core regions and peripheries.
The increasing social and economic disparities at regional level within CEE have led to the need to develop new strategies with a strong spatial focus, in order to deal with and respond to the challenges. This conference seeks to explore questions such as: how can we deal with polarisation and peripheralisation? What are the challenges for future space-based policies? What new approaches should be developed to deal with growing regional imbalances?
- Iskra Mihaylova, Chair of the Committee on Regional Development (REGI), European Parliament, Belgium
- Peter Berkowitz, Directorate General for Regional and Urban Policy, European Commission, Belgium
- Prof. John Bachtler, European Policies Research Centre, University of Strathclyde, UK
- Prof. Dominique Foray, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland
- Prof. Michael Keating, School of Social Sciences, University of Aberdeen, UK
- Assoc. Prof. Ewa Korcelli-Olejniczak, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland
- Prof. Jennifer Clark, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- Prof. Zoltán Kovács, University of Szeged, Hungary Academy of Science, Hungary
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Peter Meusburger, Heidelberg University, Germany
- Dr. Lech Suwala, Humboldt-University Berlin, Germany - Early Career Plenary Speaker
- Emil Boc, Mayor of Cluj-Napoca, Romania – Gala Dinner Speech
Academic Organiser: Professor Jozsef Benedek, Babeş-Bolyai University, Faculty of Geography, Cluj Napoca, Romania
To read more, please click here to visit the conference website. Late papers might be accepted.