4th International Symposium Faculty of Humanities, Imo State University Owerri
THEME DRINKING CULTURES AND THE PUBLIC SPHERE IN AFRICA
VENUE: Imo State University Auditorium Owerri
DATE: Tuesday 6 June 2017 .
The historical context of policies and interventions on alcohol has historically affected our drinking behavior. The use of alcoholic beverage is well entrenched in the culture of African societies. Alcohol played various socio-economic and cultural functions at different historical times and acquired different meanings. The contact with Europe influenced the availability and use of alcohol as much as politicized it through different control mechanism. Yet the production and consumption of alcohol has grown rapidly in Africa transforming our consumption patterns in terms of age, gender, and other dynamics.
The symposium intends to address the historical and cultural dimension of these phenomena and to trace the development of changing attitudes to consumption and historical and contemporary representations of alcohol and drinking in different parts of Africa. Presentations will address among other theme, the following areas:
1. Politics of the Temperance Movements
2. Alcohol, Ceremonies and Rituals
3. Alcohol and European Contact
4. Gender, public space and alcohol drinking and Production
5. Colonial Regime and Alcohol Prohibition
6. Alcohol and the African Economy
7. Licensing, Pricing, and Sales Strategies of Alcohol and Breweries
8. Contesting for space: Beer Brands and Sales Strategies
9. Beer and Ethnic Representations in alcohol advertising
10. Breweries and Corporate Social Responsibility
11. Government and the establishment of Breweries
12. Alcohol Advertising and Popular Culture
13. Alcohol and the Entertainment Industries
14. Alcohol and Health
15. Alcohol, Sexuality and Crime
16. Public Policy and alcohol production and consumption
17. Alcohol and Impact on sports
Interested participants should submit an abstract of not more than 300 words with their name, current position and institutional affiliation, mailing addresses, email, and phone number to email@example.com by May 31 2017. Final draft of paper should get to the same address by 4 June 2017. Use the Chicago Manual of Style in preparing your final paper. We plan to peer-reviewed accepted papers for publication. There is a conference registration fee of N15, 000 per participant.
Sponsorship: This Symposium is proudly sponsored by Sabmiller Nigerian PLC makers of Hero Lager, Castle Milk Stout, Grand Malt (non-alcoholic) and Beta Malt (non-alcoholic).
Contact information Dr. Uche U. Okonkwo firstname.lastname@example.org
A. Prof Uchenna Martins Nwankwo, Head, Department of History and International Studies, IMSU Owerri
Department of History and International Studies,University of Nigeria Nsukka