Sibilant Press is looking for essays on Voltaire’s Candide, to be published alongside the novel. Essays should be written for a general audience. Potential topics include (but are not limited to):
- Candide’s place in Voltaire’s oeuvre
- Voltaire, Candide, and deism
- Voltaire and the Enlightenment
- Free will in Candide
- The intellectual and social contexts of Candide
- Philosophical optimism and Candide
- Publication history of Candide
- Candide’s reception and influence
- Voltaire’s reception and influence
- Major themes in Candide
When an essay is submitted for consideration, the author affirms that it is original, unpublished, and not being considered for publication elsewhere. Upon acceptance, the author will be asked to sign a publication license to Sibilant Press. All are encouraged to submit, including graduate students.
Essays should be proofread, between 10 and 20 double-spaced pages in length including endnotes, written in English, and formatted according to the Chicago Manual of Style.
Please include a short, author bio with your essay and submit in Microsoft Word format to:
Submission deadline: June 18, 2017