The Arab Studies Institute (ASI) and AUB’s Center for Arab and Middle Eastern Studies (CAMES) are pleased to announce the second Doctoral Dissertation Summer Institute on Lebanon, to be held 12-23 June 2017. The program aims to provide a framework for facilitating and advancing rigorous inter-disciplinary doctoral dissertation research on Lebanon. A cohort of PhD students, representing an array of disciplines, research agendas, and institutional affiliations, will be chosen from an open pool of applicants through a competitive selection process. By bringing together PhD students of various disciplinary training and topical foci, this program creates a space to interrogate, modify, and develop critical approaches to the study of Lebanon. Central to this process is increasing students’ familiarity with the contours of knowledge production as well as field research in Lebanon.
The goals of the workshop are as follows:
- Deepen participants’ theoretical and empirical foundations;
- Introduce applicants to the main questions and methods of various disciplines;
- Facilitate logistical preparation for archival and other forms of research fieldwork;
- Contribute to the development of a doctoral dissertation research and writing community;
- Expand critical knowledge production on Lebanon.
Application Deadline: 5 March 2017