Call for Submissions 2017
Fwd: Museums Journal - Small
Produced and edited by University of Illinois at Chicago graduate students and published by Chicago-based StepSister Press, Fwd: Museums strives to create a space for challenging, critiquing, and providing alternative modes of thinking and production within and outside of museums.
Recognizing the need for reimagining and critically transforming museums and our cultural work within (inside and outside; within or in connection to) their spaces, Fwd: Museums invites you to submit artwork, essays, creative writing, interviews, poetry, love letters, and other experimental forms to analyze, critique, and make space for new thinking about museums and exhibitions.
The theme for our next issue is “Small.”
Keeping in mind the shadows that can often be cast by larger institutions and the prevailing need to break down “traditional” museum practices, tell us what Small means to you: the struggles, the triumphs, and the everyday experiences…
Possible topics include:
- Your experiences of visiting or working in small spaces
- Unpacking the meaning and practice of engagement
- Sustainability and longevity of a space or program
- Smaller positions within larger institutions
- Times when you have felt small
- Changing dynamics or tensions within small spaces
- The impact of small ideas in a culture that is preoccupied with bigness
- Provoking the concept of scale in art
- Downsizing (Collections, Staff…)
- Who decides what the right size is?
- Deadline: January 5, 2017 11:59pm (CT)
- Writing: manuscripts of up to 2,500 words as doc, docx, or rtf files
- Visuals: low-resolution B/W and color images of original artwork in TIFF or JPEG format. If your submission is selected, we will request high resolution images 300 PPI at print size.
- Submission form & Instructions: https://docs.google.com/…/1FAIpQLScWlkQlTbJZmylK3n…/viewform
Please email Sarita Hernández, Publication Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org for further inquiries.
Visit our website http://fwdmuseumsjournal.wordpress.com/ for submission updates and more information on Inaugurations, the first issue of Fwd: Museums.
Therese Quinn is Director of Museum and Exhibition Studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago.