The Southern Historical Association Graduate Student Council invites applications for three new graduate student representatives to join us!
As a member of the Graduate Student Council you have the chance to participate in the workings of the society and interact with many of the great scholars who are members of the SHA. The SHA formed in 1934 with a mandate to take an “investigative rather than a memorial approach” to southern history. We have been investigating ever since.
Graduate student representative responsibilities include, but are not limited to, serving as an important conduit between graduate students and the SHA’s leadership; managing our social media sites; and coordinating with the Secretary-Treasurer in the design and implementation of the graduate student lunch at the annual meeting of the Southern Historical Association.
If you are a current member of the SHA who will be a graduate student in the 2018-2019 academic year, you are eligible to serve. Members of the council serve for 2 years. We are also open to new roles or ideas for things you think the Graduate Student Council could do to encourage student involvement in the SHA and larger field.
If you are interested in joining our team, please answer and send the questionnaire below, along with your CV, to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1 with the subject line “SHA GSC application.”
- Current standing in your graduate program (first year MA; third year PhD, etc.)
- Research field (be as specific as you like)
- Advisor's name
- Advisor's email
- Do you have any suggestions for topics for the graduate student lunch at the annual meeting?
- Do you have any suggestions for improving the social experience of graduate students in the Association?
- Do you have any suggestions for additional programming at the annual meeting that would improve the intellectual experience of graduate students in the Association?
Feel free to answer these last three questions, even if you do not wish to volunteer for the Graduate Student Council!