2017 Annual Meeting of the Society for the History of Discoveries
Where: Milwaukee, WI
When: 21-23 September 2017 with possible outing on 24 September
Papers, 20 minutes in length, are invited on all aspects of this theme, from explorers to fur traders to cartography. Jesuit missionaries played a key role in exploring and mapping this region and Marquette University, a Jesuit institution, will host select conference events. The American Geographical Society Library at the University of Wisconsin will be our primary host and in their honor we also encourage papers on arctic exploration, as well as papers on the history of cartography generally.
The Program Committee welcomes proposals from graduate students and scholars that address all aspects of geographical discovery and exploration and their impact. Preference will be given to those papers that are particularly aligned with the themes noted above, but all paper proposals of high quality, regardless of geographic orientation, will be considered.
The audience at SHD meetings is diverse and includes academics and members of various professions. All are especially interested in the processes and consequences of geographical exploration and discovery. Presenters are encouraged to use images (maps, paintings, photographs, etc.). For the benefit of the audience all visuals must be presented as Power Point compatible projections.
Paper Proposals are Due Friday, February 3, 2017
- the title of the presentation
- the author’s name and address, including email address and affiliation
- an abstract summarizing the paper’s scope and conclusions (maximum of 500 words)
- a statement about the originality of the contents of the paper: how much is new, unpublished material, based on research in primary sources, etc.
- a statement indicating whether power point or other digital media will be used and whether internet access is necessary for the presentation.
- a brief biographic sketch of the author(s)
SHD welcomes submissions from graduate students and emerging scholars.
Paper proposals should be submitted as e-mail attachments, with the subject line SHD 2017, to:
Dr. Marguerite Ragnow, Program Committee Chair and Vice President
Questions? Please contact Dr. Ragnow at email@example.com or 612-624-6895