The Songhees Nation and the University of Victoria Faculty of Law and History Department invite you to a symposium considering Indigenous and treaty rights in the colonies of Vancouver Island and British Coliumbia before Confederation. The symposium will begin with tours of Songhees traditional territory by land and sea on Friday followed by academic and community presentations on Saturday and Sunday addressing the following themes:
1. Relations between First Nations and James Douglas
2. Indigenous and Colonial Concepts of Land, Law and Territory
3. Hunting and Fishing Rights
4. The End of Treaty-Making
5. The Roles of the HBC and the Colonial Office
6. The History of Douglas Era Reserves
7. Current relevance of these historical events.
Registration deadline is February 10, 2017.
For more information and to register, please visit www.uvic-songhees.ca.
Victoria, B.C. V8W 3P4