The 38th Annual Southwest Popular/American Culture Association Conference
Albuquerque, New Mexico
February 15-18, 2017
Proposals are now being accepted for the Mothers, Motherhood, and Mothering in Popular Culture area! We are looking for papers/presentations/performances that address mothers, motherhood, and/or mothering as seen within popular culture, such as through:
- representations (via TV, film, magazines, online media, literature, etc.) of mothers, motherhood, and/or mothering including pregnancy, comparison to fathers,
- experiences of mothers, motherhood, and/or mothering and variances by race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexuality, class, age, ability, etc.
- theories related to mothers, motherhood, and/or mothering,
- studies about/with mothers, and
- pedagogical applications of research/writing relating mothers, motherhood, and/or mothering.
Please keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list, as motherhood studies is a rich and fertile (hah!) ground for research and discovery.
Papers/presentations/performances incorporating intersectionalities of gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, age, ability, citizenship, nationality, and/or class are particularly encouraged. Papers from graduate students are welcomed!
QUESTIONS? Contact Kathleen Lacey, Area Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit proposals of up to 500 words to http://conference2017.southwestpca.org/
- Individual Presentation: Each presentation will last approximately 15 minutes.
- Panel: If you want to propose a panel with multiple papers, please put each person’s individual paper abstract on a separate proposal form in the database. Each abstract should also contain information such as panel title, panel chair, etc.
- Deadline for submission: November 15, 2016
Area Chair, Mothers, Mothering, and Motherhood in Popular Culture, SWPACA
Awards Coordinator, Southwest Popular/American Culture Association