Call for Abstracts
THE WRITTEN HERITAGE IN THE LAND OF ORIGINS
The 1st International Conference on Ethiopia’s Written Heritage
8-10 October, 2018; UNCC-Addis Ababa
The Written Heritage in the Land of Origins conference is organized by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of the FDRE in collaboration with Addis Ababa University. It will be held at the UN meeting hall, Addis Ababa on 8-10 October, 2018. Participants of the conference will be leading scholars of Ethiopian Studies, representatives of different governmental bodies, religious denominations, civil societies and institutes working with Ethiopia’s written heritage. It constitutes a vibrant forum for presenting scientific ideas and research results in the areas of manuscript studies in general and the culture and content of Ethiopia’s textual tradition in particular.
Objectives of the Conference
The primary objectives of the conference are the following:
- To integrate the scientific community and practitioners involved in different areas of manuscript studies;
- To present the latest research results in the field;
- Exchange of ideas and experience of the research and work in manuscript studies;
- To Identify new scientific research areas and practical challenges;
- To design policy proposals and working guidelines to be considered for the preservation and conservations of the country’s written heritage;
- To publish the result of the conference as a proceedings.
Topics of interest may include (but are not limited to):
- Scribes and copyists
- Making of manuscripts
- Charms and aesthetics in manuscripts
- Manuscripts as agents of Herbs and Magics
- Looted and hidden manuscripts: The question of restitution
- The Legacy: from its glory until contemporary
- Manuscript production in print and the digital age
- Endangered: The future of manuscript culture.
- Chirography of Medieval Ethiopia: Materiality and Process
- The Body of the Heritage: content and Transmission
- Medieval Texts in the Context of Ethiopian Studies: History, Politics, Philosophy, etc.
- The State of the Heritage Today and Tomorrow
Deadline for submission of abstracts: 30 April 2018
Notification of acceptance of abstracts: 14 May 2018
Deadline for final paper submission: 31 August 2018
Please submit your abstracts at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you at THE WRITTEN HERITAGE IN THE LAND OF ORIGINS conference.
Dr. Mersha Alehegne
Addis Ababa University