Call for Design Editor
Submission Deadline: April 1, 2018
Student Anthropologist, the journal of the National Association of Student Anthropologists (a section of the American Anthropological Association) is currently seeking applications for a Design Editor for our 2018 issue (due out at the end of the year).
The Design Editor must be a current part-time or full-time undergraduate or graduate student in ANY discipline at any accredited college or university in the world. An interest in anthropology and/or academic publishing is strongly preferred.
The bulk of the Design Editor's responsibilities will be in the fall, but we would like to get someone on board soon.
Student Anthropologist is published online in PDF format; we are not a print publication.
Required responsibilities and skills:
- Create the cover for the 2018 annual issue, coordinating with the Interim Editor as appropriate.
- Create any graphics needed to accompany articles in the issue, using a program such as Photoshop or Illustrator (Design Editor’s choice).
- Improve the quality of any photos included in the issue, using a program such as Photoshop (Design Editor’s choice).
- Resize and/or crop photos included in the 2018 issue, using a program such as Photoshop (Design Editor’s choice).
- Design and layout the issue, using a program such as InDesign, Pages for Mac, Microsoft Publisher, or Microsoft Word (Design Editor's choice).
Please send the following information to the Interim Editor, Stephanie Mojica, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Current college or university
- Level (undergrad or graduate)
- Resume or CV
- If your graphic design/publication layout experience is not evident from your resume or CV, please give a paragraph or two about any relevant coursework and/or freelance work.
- Examples of graphics you have created
- Examples of documents/publications you have designed and/or done layout for. (optional, but candidates with such samples will be given priority consideration)
As is traditional with student publications, there is no pay. However, this is an invaluable opportunity to gain professional experience in academic publishing.
The deadline for applications is April 1, 2018.