Southwest Popular / American Culture Association (SWPACA)
Advertising and Consumer Culture
Conference Date: February 15-18, 2017
Proposal Deadline: Novemember 1, 2016
Proposals for individual papers and panels are now being accepted for the Advertising and Consumer Culture area of the Southwest Popular/American Culture Association 2017 Conference. Proposals of 200-250 words are accepted through the conference website: http://conference2017.southwestpca.org/ . The inclusion of a brief bio in the body of the proposal form is encouraged, but not required.
Presentations from historical, cultural studies, and critical perspectives are welcome. Topics might include, but are not limited to:
- examinations of consumption patterns and meanings
- examinations of consumer goods: product development, inventors, marketing, design
- studies in advertising: graphic design, word & image, use of logos/slogans/jingles, persuasive devices, product placement, cross-advertising
- the use of celebrities and endorsements in advertising
- the use of advertising media: billboards, magazines, newspapers, packaging, TV, internet, spam, social media
- sites of consumption, consuming activities, consumption on display
- consumer behavior: motivations behind consumption; consumption and identity; consumer “taste”; and ethics of consumption
- studies of the effects of consumer culture: physical waste, ecological distress, economic issues, sustainability, etc.
- cross-cultural trends: consumerism, advertising, and consumer identity
- the socio-cultural impact of product and service consumption
- social sturctures, power and consumption
Southwest Popular/American Culture Association
38th Annual Conference, February 15-18, 2017
Hyatt Regency Hotel & Conference Center
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Melissa Tackett-Gibson, Ph.D.
Department of Sociology
Sam Houston State University