Cfp: The Fourth International Conference on Manuscripts,
University of Adrar, Algeria, November 13th - 15th, 2018
The University of Adrar and the Laboratory of Algerian Manuscripts in Africa announce the Fourth International Conference on Manuscripts to be held on 13-15 November 2018 at the University of Adrar, Algeria.
Arabic manuscripts are undeniably among the oldest intellectual and humanistic arts that have been better safely preserved in number and diversity than any other universal intellectual heritage.
The preservation of such manuscripts will certainly develop human knowledge and enable its transmission to future generations, which has been facilitated by better and larger collection, modern indexation and therefore easier accessibility to researchers.
Progress in this field with regards to the collection, indexation of manuscripts in Africa in general and Algeria in particular together with the problems encountered constitute the object of the Fourth International Conference on Manuscripts.
The conference aims at a number of objectives including:
- An attempt to develop a bibliography of Algerian manuscripts in Algeria and in the world.
- Introducing the Algerian heritage of manuscripts scattered in different parts of the world and making it accessible for researchers and editors.
- Introducing the efforts of the Algerians in the field of human civilization.
- Showing the role of the Algerian scholars in the transfer of science and knowledge inside and outside Algeria.
- Identifying or locating the centers of knowledge where the Algerian scholars are active.
- Strengthening the historical links between Algeria and its African and world environments.
- The use of the updated scientific research findings in the issues of manuscripts’ inventory, indexation and digitization as well as their research methodology.
The conference encourages paper proposals on a wide variety of topics related to manuscripts which can be included but not limited to the following axes:
- Updated findings in the codicology of the manuscripts.
- Updated research in cataloguing Arabic manuscripts in general and Algerian manuscripts in particular.
- Updated research and studies in editing Arabic manuscripts in general and Algerian manuscripts in particular.
- Updated research and studies in the field of preservation and digitalization of Arabic manuscripts in general and Algerian manuscripts in particular.
- The study of Arabic calligraphy and its development locally and internationally.
- Updated research and studies in the field of legal protection of the manuscripts locally and internationally.
- Updated research and studies in the field of making paper and other storing supports and the means of writing and reading manuscripts.
- Only individual contributions are accepted.
- The work must be original and not have been submitted or published before.
- All submissions should include the following:
- An abstract of no more than 300 words together with the full paper in no more than 3000 words and a one-page CV.
- Author’s full name, Affiliation, E-mail address.
- All submissions should be sent to the following e-mail address: email@example.com by July 19th, 2018.
- Papers must be written in Times New Roman, police 12, following the Chicago Referencing Style 16th ed.
- The official languages of the conference are: Arabic, English, and French
- All proposals will be double-blind peer reviewed and you will be notified of the scientific committee's decision by September 9th, 2018.
- Conference dates: November 13th and 14th, 2018.
Note: - Accommodation, food and local transportation (within the State of Adrar) will be covered by the organizing committee.
- A free tour is scheduled on the third day of the conference to the capital city of Gurara, Timimoun, at about 140 miles from Adrar to visit the traditional libraries of manuscripts.
Honorific President of the Conference: Professor Noureddine Adjerfour
President of the Conference: Professor Ahmed Djaafri
President of the Scientific Committee: Professor Idriss Benkhoia
President of the Organizing Committee: Dr. Said Nouacer
Contact e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tahar Abbou, University of Adrar