The call for participation in the conference ‘Through Local Eyes: Place-based approaches to emerging architectural, urban design and planning challenges in Africa and the Global South’ is now open!
The conference will be held at the EiABC (Ethiopian Institute of Architecture, Building Construction and City Development), in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, from 29 to 31 October 2018.
Practitioners, policy makers, NGOs and scholars are invited to submit proposals for this conference.
We particularly appreciate contributions that are based on an empirical confrontation with reality and that aim to:
- singling out site-based local/urban practices and development strategies, emphasising their adaptation/conformity/proximity to their specific geographic setting (rural, suburban, urban, metropolitan, etc.);
- challenging the assumptions of modernist and/or dominant architectural and planning theories and their use in situations radically different from those for which such theories were devised in the first place;
- testing and formulating new and unforeseen concepts, theories, research paradigms stemming from the specific ‘urbanities’ of Africa and the Global South.
We invite those interested to present original papers, posters, plenary sessions, training workshops and lightning presentations on these themes and related topics. The main working language at the conference will be English. Nevertheless, the submission of proposals in French will also be welcomed.
The general theme of the conference, as well as the sub-themes, the preliminary programme and the different formats of possible contributions are all available on the official conference website: https://www.conferenceaddis2018.org
- 31 January 2018: Submission of proposals.
- 17 February 2018: Feedback to paper authors and session proponents
- 15 April 2018: full-length original paper submission
- 29–31October 2018: Conference in Addis Ababa
The conference is organised by the HABITER research centre and BATir department of the Université libre de Bruxelles (Belgium), the ECIP research centre of the EiABC (University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia) and the Gemboux Agro-Bio Tech centre at the Université de Liège (Belgium).
We are looking forward to seeing you in Addis Ababa in October 2018!
Catalina Dobre, member of the organising committee