Fully-Funded Scholarship 2023 “Francesco Fasolo” ITSS Summer School
Fully Funded 2023 “Francesco Fasolo” ITSS Online Summer School
With the onset of new international wars, the reemergence of authoritarian leaders, and growing concerns around international security threats – from terrorism, to natural disasters or cyber espionage – the security arena in 2023 continued to be in rapid flux. For those seeking to understand and respond to the dynamics driving insecurity, violence, and international policy, it has become vital to understand security problems not as specialty silos, but as interconnected and mutually influencing forces.
To prepare you for this, the ITSS Summer School has developed six educational tracks aimed to provide students and professionals with an innovative, stimulating, and thorough exploration of contemporary security challenges. An inspiring mixture of academics and professionals, our Summer School boasts experts from world-leading institutions and companies, including King’s College London, RAND, and RUSI. Adding to this, we also recruited industry professionals involved in prevention of violent extremism; UN advisors; and former military personnel with unmatchable operational experience. Our school will prepare you to engage with scholars and policymakers, advancing your career in security, defence, policy, and statecraft.
Devoid of any politicised agenda, we wish to innovate and internationalise debate through inclusive and accessible means. We offer six tracks exploring (which can be found in the following pages):
- 1. Jihadist terrorism: a persistent pressing matter
- 2. Russia, Ukraine, and the future of War in Europe
- 3. US-China relations: history, concepts, and contemporary issues
- 4. Towards a Cyber World
- 5. New sites of war: Non-traditional Security Threats in the 21st Century
- 6. The Geopolitics of the Middle East
Furthermore, all participants are offered one optional foundational course (shades of security) featuring concepts of international security, quantitative and qualitative methods, non-western approaches, and academic life and publishing. Each session has been carefully prepared to be focused, stimulating, and engaging; highlighting current debates in international security, including practical cases and interviews.
Upon completion, students will obtain an official certificate, network with our scholars and speakers, and join the ITSS community – one of the largest networks in Europe addressing current and future security challenges.
The School runs online through four consecutive weekends, from Friday June 9th to Saturday July 1st. Sessions run from 11:30 until 17:30 CET (including breaks). Our tracks commence at 14:00 CET. The optional foundational course runs on both Fridays and Saturdays from 11:30 to 13:00 CET. The tracks are offered as follows:
- Tracks on Jihadist Terrorism, US-China, and New sites of war on Fridays (June 9th, 16th, 23th, and 30th).
- Tracks on Geopolitics of the Middle East, Russia & Ukraine, and Cyber are delivered on Saturdays (June 10th, 17th, 24th, and July 1st).
Candidates from South America and Africa (with a particular preference to Peruvian and Kenyan applicants) can apply to the "Angelí Arroyo" fully-funded scholarship and send their CVs and personal statements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply now and join us!
Please send a copy of your CV and a one-page statement explaining the reasons for selecting your track(s), along with your contribution to the Summer School at email@example.com . Once your application is accepted, you will receive the Moodle credentials, payment information, and a copy of the Memorandum of Understanding which is to be returned signed. The application deadline is set for June 7th 2023.
- Inclusive, top-notch accessible education delivered by world-leading experts.
- Flexible and remote learning.
- Access to recordings of our frontal lectures, interactive seminars and discussions.
- Access to ITSS Verona global network.
- Membership for the year 2023/2024 granting automatic access to every ITSS Verona event, including webinars and conferences.
- Certificate of completion.
- Priority option to publish a piece in the third issue of the ITSS Verona International Security Magazine.
For any further information, please do not hesitate to get in touch and send us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org