2023 VMHC HISTORY MATTERS SYMPOSIUM - Event Date Updated
Call for Proposals! Deadline for Submission: Friday, April 14, 2023
Symposium Date: Saturday, November 4, 2023
This year, the Virginia Museum of History & Culture will celebrate the United States’ inaugural voyage to the Moon through a brand-new exhibition, Apollo: When We Went to the Moon. It was a journey shaped in the Commonwealth and made possible through the ingenuity and dedication of hundreds of Virginians.
Virginia has long been a site for discovery. European colonizers in the 16th Century claimed to “discover” a bountiful land apparently ready for settlement. Cyrus McCormick and Jo Anderson of Rockbridge County revolutionized agriculture with their invention of a mechanical reaper in 1831; while Hickory-born Bessie Blount’s pioneering work contributed greatly to the emerging field of physical therapy in the 20th Century. Even now, corporations based across the Commonwealth drive global innovation, as researchers in archives continue to uncover Virginia’s past, allowing for more accurate and inclusive storytelling.
2023 will also see the VMHC host its first public symposium, an event where historians, practitioners, activists, and members of the public will gather to explore our shared past. Featuring panels and presentations that highlight groundbreaking research into Virginia history, tailored gallery tours that celebrate Virginia discoveries, and a special keynote lecture and reception, the symposium will link past with present and inspire future generations.
The VMHC welcomes presentations, panels, and posters from public and academic historians alike that address the theme of “discovery” in Virginia history. Presentations can relate to either:
- historic discoveries made in Virginia or by Virginians
- research that represents pioneering storytelling in Virginia history
Our symposium is an opportunity for historians to share their work in a supportive, public-centric environment that values accessibility and engaging storytelling. The VMHC looks forward to welcoming you to share new perspectives on the unparalleled history of Virginia.
To Submit a Proposal:
- The deadline for submissions is April 14, 2023. Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
- Please submit a presentation title, a 250-word abstract, and a biographical paragraph or CV (no more than 250 words) in a single PDF/Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are proposing a complete panel, please submit a panel title and abstract (no more than 200 words), and a 250-word abstract and biographical paragraph or CV (no more than 250 words) for each participant in a single PDF/Word document to email@example.com.
- If you are proposing a poster, please submit a poster title and abstract (no more than 250 words) which describes how the poster will present information visually and what story it will seek to tell, and a biographical paragraph or CV (no more than 250 words) in a single PDF/Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
When reviewing proposals, the VMHC will value the contemporary relevance of the topic and the public speaking experience of the presenters. If you would like to include an example of past public speaking (such as recorded presentations and podcasts), we would welcome them, but they are not a requirement.
Please ensure that you provide contact details, including an email address and telephone number. For panel submissions, please provide the contact details of the main contact.
- When: Saturday, November 4, 2023
- Sessions: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Keynote & Reception: 5:00pm - 7:00pm
- Where: Virginia Museum of History & Culture, Richmond, VA
- Submission Deadline: April 14, 2023
- Decision Notification: June 2023
- Costs: Presenters will receive complimentary registration and lunch. Limited travel stipends will be available upon request.
Please direct any questions to email@example.com.