Call for Papers and Panels: Disability Studies Subject Area
Midwest Popular Culture Association/Midwest American Culture Association Annual Conference
Friday-Sunday, October 6-8, 2023
DePaul University, Chicago, IL
DePaul Center, 1 E. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, IL 60604
Deadline for Receipt of Proposals: April 30, 2023
The Disability Studies Subject Area welcomes proposals for the 2023 Midwest Popular Culture Association/Midwest American Culture Association Annual Conference. Topics may include, but are certainly not limited to:
- Media representations of disability
- Intersections of disability with other modes of identity and power such as race, gender, class, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, etc.
- Disability advocacy organizations
- Feminist Disability Studies
- Narratives of disability
- Disability Studies pedagogy
- Disability and citizenship
- Disability and communication
- Disability and the Internet
- Conceptualizations and critiques of Disability Studies as a field of inquiry
- Trends & new directions in Disability Studies
Projects that engage neurodivergence are especially welcome!
Please submit 250-word paper or panel proposals to the Disability Studies Subject Area. Include the title of your paper/panel, name, affiliation, and email address in your proposal. For panel proposals, each presenter must have an abstract; additionally, it would be helpful if one presenter emailed the area chair with the title of the panel, list of presenters, and their email addresses. Please note you may only submit one proposal to the conference and only in one Area.
Proposals are due by April 30, 2023. The submission portal can be found here: https://www.mpcaaca.org/submit-panels
Graduate students are strongly encouraged to submit and are also invited to apply for competitively awarded MPCA/MACA travel grants at https://www.mpcaaca.org/awards-travel-grants
Information on the 2023 conference, including the broader CFP, can be found here: https://www.mpcaaca.org/2023-mpca-aca-annual-conference
If you have questions about the Disability Studies Subject Area or would like more information, please email area chair Sam Kizer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sam Kizer, Associate Instructor & Doctoral Candidate, Department of Gender Studies, Indiana University Bloomington