CALL FOR CHAPTERS
Chapter Abstract Submission Deadline: 20 February 2023
Creative Negotiations. Romania – America 1920-1940
Book edited by Dr. Sonia D. Andraş (The “Gheorghe Şincai” Institute for Social Sciences and the Humanities, Târgu-Mureş, Romania) and Dr. Roxana Mihaly (The “Gheorghe Şincai” Institute for Social Sciences and the Humanities, Târgu-Mureş, Romania)
This edited volume will be supported by the Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding-UEFISCDI, the National Research Council - CNCS, the Ministry of National Education (Romania), Project PN-III-P4-PCE-2021-0688, Contract 29 from 27 May 2022, titled The Ethos of Dialogue and Education: Romanian - American Cultural Negotiations (1920-1940). The aim is to highlight the importance of cultural negotiations between creative and innovative individuals, fields, activities and forms, blending material and symbolic cultures for a comprehensive outline of the relationship between Romania and the USA between 1920 and 1940. The contributions will cover a diverse spectrum of a dynamic, ever-evolving dialogue between interwar individuals, currents or entities and those analyzing their works and interactions today. As part of The Ethos of Dialogue and Education: Romanian - American Cultural Negotiations (1920-1940) project, the contributions will be limited by time (between 1920 and 1940) and subject matter (Romanian – US cultural negotiations in creative fields or focusing on innovative aspects regarding Romanian – US cultural, educational or artistic negotiations). The book will nonetheless make the subjects and stories relevant to current audience through methodological, disciplinary or relational means. This will assure an outstanding contribution to knowledge about the interwar era in general and its reception today and within Romanian and American Studies.
EDERA ~ The Ethos of Dialogue and Education: Romanian - American Cultural Negotiations (1920-1940) ~ Project funded by UEFISCDI – Project Number PN-III-P4-PCE-2021-0688 ~ – Contract No. 29 from 27 May 2022.
This project examines instances of both successful and unsuccessful Romanian-American formative cultural and educational negotiations, beyond interpretations of unilateral transfers from the center, as the United States and the marginal Other, as Romania. It transcends self-focused perspectives, culpabilization and self-victimization, favoring panoramic intercultural and transnational views. The approach is interdisciplinary, ranging from history (cultural, intellectual, social, political, economic, history of education, history of religion, art history) to cultural (religious, fashion, travel, memory, identity) studies, and imagology. The research applies cultural studies concepts (negotiation, difference, diversity, discourse, power relationship, representation) to historical investigation to further relativize the borders between disciplines, identities and cultures.
The Book’s Objective
As a result of the project The Ethos of Dialogue and Education: Romanian - American Cultural Negotiations (1920-1940), this book focuses on the creative aspects of cultural negotiations between Romania and the United States. The aim is to link and uncover the subtle dynamics involved in the dialogues between creatives, critics, disseminators and the general public. This book and its contributors will thus add new knowledge to the field of Romanian-American Studies.
This English-language book addresses academic and non-academic audiences who wish to explore creative and innovative cultural negotiations between Romania and the United States between 1920 and 1940. The target fields are cultural studies, cultural and art history, research on written, visual or sound creative activities.
Recommended topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design and creative visual expressions, individuals, reception.
- Fashion and beauty, industry, creation, consumption, modernity, reception.
- Fine art and sculpture, stories, works, collectives and exhibitions.
- Literature, creative written expressions, fiction, memoirs, writers and poets, reception.
- Music and musicians, promoters, reception.
- Negotiations between Romanian and American creators, promoters, critics, and the public.
- Creative, innovative aspects on Romanian-American cultural, artistic, educational, spiritual relations, transfers and exchanges between 1920 and 1940.
Interested researchers and authors are invited to submit by 20 February 2022 an abstract for their proposed chapter (up to 250 words) and a short description of the author(s), including current affiliation and position (if any). Accepted authors will be notified by 3 March 2023. The final full chapter draft will be submitted by 30 April 2023 for the book’s completed draft manuscript to be submitted to the publisher for review by 1 July 2023. All submissions and inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com.
Full Chapter Submission
- The chapter will be written in US English and will not exceed 6000 words, including notes and bibliography. If the original text was not written in English, please also submit the text in the original language. The final draft chapter should be submitted after evaluation by 11 June 2023.
- The format will be A4. The preferred font is Times New Roman. The titled should be aligned center at font size 16, it should be Bold and written in capital letters. The chapter text size should be 11, Justified, spaced at 1.15. Footnote text should be size 10, spaced at 1. Please use diacritics for Romanian texts.
- The text will use the Chicago style for referencing and style, with citations in footnotes and a Bibliography at the end. Please use footnotes sparingly besides citations, only if necessary and not exceeding a quarter of the page.
- There are no submission or acceptance fees for chapters that will be included in Creative Negotiations. All chapters will go through a thorough peer review editorial process before the final draft manuscript will be submitted to the publisher.
This book will be submitted to a CNCS A or B-rated, prestigious academic publisher.
- Abstract submission deadline: 6 February 2023
- Notifications of accepted abstracts: 3 March 2023
- Full chapter submission deadline: 30 April 2023
- Review results returned: 14 May 2023
- Final acceptance notification: 21 May 2023
- Final chapter submission: 11 June 2023
- Complete draft manuscript submitted to publisher: 1 July 2023
- Dr. Sonia D. Andraş, The “Gheorghe Şincai” Institute for Social Sciences and Humanities, Târgu-Mureş, Romania.
- Dr. Roxana Mihaly, The “Gheorghe Şincai” Institute for Social Sciences and Humanities, Târgu-Mureş, Romania.
Inquiries can be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Sonia D. Andraş (The “Gheorghe Şincai” Institute for Social Sciences and the Humanities, Târgu-Mureş, Romania)
Dr. Roxana Mihaly (The “Gheorghe Şincai” Institute for Social Sciences and the Humanities, Târgu-Mureş, Romania)