Every year, the Centre offers research fellowships for the study of the Enlightenment. These fellowships give young researchers and experienced scholars alike the opportunity to spend two to three months working in optimal conditions on a theme broadly related to the field of Enlightenment Studies. Among other opportunities, fellows will have the possibility to use the Centre’s library and its numerous primary and secondary sources and to get in touch with experts in the field of Enlightenment Studies working at the centre. The fellowships are generously funded by the Hamburg Foundation for the Advancement of Science and Culture (Hamburger Stiftung zur Förderung von Wissenschaft und Kultur).
- 2 fellowships for scholars from Germany and abroad for a two-month research stay in Halle
Stipend: €3,600 (in total)
- 1 fellowship for PhD students from Germany and abroad for a three-month research stay in Halle
Stipend: €3,300 (in total)
Please send your written application by email (in PDF format) to the Managing Director of the Centre:
Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für die Erforschung der Europäischen Aufklärung
Prof. Dr. Elisabeth Décultot
Franckeplatz 1, Haus 54
The fellowships can be scheduled flexibly within one year after Admission.
Please attach the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Publication list and a published writing sample (for PhD students: if available)
- Title and statement of proposed research (max. 5 pages)
- For PhD students: one letter of reference
The IZEA is housed within the Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg. As an institution of advanced study on the cultural and intellectual history of the 18th century, the IZEA contends with a period that laid the foundations of modern western society.