Call for Papers: Panels on “Asian German Studies”
The German Studies Association Conference (Montréal, Canada, October 5-8, 2023)
Deadline for Submissions: February 28, 2023
Since 2009, “Asian-German Studies” panels at the annual GSA meetings have produced lively discussions on various topics that have connected the German-speaking world with Asia. These panels have provided an important forum for comparing such phenomena as political issues, works of literature and art, and the theories and practices of transnational history. We would like to continue such efforts to comprehend relations between German-speaking Central Europe and Asia through a series of panels at the 2023 GSA conference.
Scholars interested in “Asian-German Studies” are invited to submit proposals for panels or individual papers dealing with any aspect of Asian-German Studies, but we invite everyone to consider the list below as a possible way to start the creative flow. Proposals from all disciplines are welcome. Please send proposals (300-350 words) and a short bio to the organizers.
Representative topics for Asian-German Studies include but are not limited to such ideas as the following:
· German notions of “Asia” or Geographical Areas of Asia (East Asia, Southeast Asia, South Asia)
· Genderizing Europe and Asia (Notions of Masculinity/Femininity, Gender relations/roles)
· German depictions of “Asians” or “Asian” values/ideas
· Asian depictions of “Germans,” “Germanness,” German values/ideas in Asian countries
· German-/Austrian-/Swiss-Asian relations (alliances, conflicts, business, colonialism, etc.)
· Cross-cultural influence (literature, film, translation, philosophy, art)
· Asians in Europe/speakers of German in Asia (immigration, Chinatown)
· Transnational Religion: Intersections and Influences
· Comparative Germanistik (the discipline as practiced variously in the German-speaking world and Asia)
· Asian Studies in the German-speaking world (Sinologie, Japanologie, Indologie, Koreanistik, etc.)
Please pass this CFP along to anyone else who might be interested. More Information regarding the conference can be found on the GSA's website--https://thegsa.org/blog/cfp-gsa-47th-annual-conference.
Joanne Miyang Cho (William Paterson University of New Jersey, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Lee M. Roberts (Purdue University Fort Wayne (PFW), email@example.com)
Joanne Miyang Cho