Dear colleagues, please consider this call for papers for our panel New Families, Old Societies – New Challenges of Migration for Families in their Countries of Origin that wil be hosted at the New Societies, Old Minorities / New Minorities, Old Societies?, the 4th international conference of the Romanian Sociological Society (RSS) in Sibiu, Romania, 29th of September – 1st of October 2016.
New Families, Old Societies – New Challenges of Migration for Families in their Countries of Origin
The way transnational family members have become integrated in their target countries has been subjected quite extensively to diaspora research. On the other hand, most of the research on transnational families focuses on the transnational functioning of this type of family. Our section proposes to host foremostly papers focusing on the challenges the growth in number and variety of transnational families raises for the countries of origin. Special attention is given to presentations discussing geographically Eastern European countries.
The section especially wishes to touch upon topics such as:
- The way transnational family members manage situations in which migrant family members are discriminated at home (see the case of mothers in countries such as Romania, the Republic of Moldova or the Ukraine)
- The situation of children who, being born abroad, have the possibility to opt for double citizenship, of children of transnationally mixed families and of children gliding between countries of origin and target countries
- The situation of elderly remaining at home
- Transnationally mixed families who chose to settle in the country of origin
- Families with members dispersed over several countries and the way those at home manage the situation of belonging to this type of family organization.
Presented papers in this section will have the chance of being published in a collective volume, therefore a draft of the paper will be required upon registration (the 1st of August 2016).
We invite interested scholars to submit a paper proposal. Registration is available on the conference platform at the following link: http://societateasociologilor.ro/conference/index.php/rss/rss2016/author/submit?requiresAuthor=1
- Deadline for submitting paper proposals: 15.05.2016
- Announcement of accepted papers: 15.06.2016
- Registration deadline: 01.08.2016
- Conference: September 29th – October 1st.
Viorela Ducu, Babeș-Bolyai University
Iulia Hossu, Centre for Population Studies, Babeș-Bolyai University