17th China Goes Global Conference:
Call for Papers
July 11th - 12th 2023
China and Globalization at a turning point
We are happy to announce the highly anticipated return of the China Goes Global™ Conference to be held in-person Italy hosted in Bologna (Italy), by CiMET (Italy’s National University Center for Applied Economic Studies).
As the premier conference on the topic, we seek contemporary contributions from various business/management disciplines, to broader social sciences and other multidisciplinary perspectives of the globalization of China.
Papers, book presentations, and panel proposals are especially encouraged in the following areas:
• Theoretical explorations of Chinese flows of people, goods, ideas and money
• Testing the limits of Western-centric theories in the context of China’s globalization
• Industrial policies and structural change in China
• Business models with “Chinese characteristics”
• Development of new Chinese-centric and indigenous theories
• The role of emerging market multinationals
• Managing and organizing Chinese companies/subsidiaries abroad
• Comparison of China with other emerging markets
• Chinese engagement in India, Asia, America, Australia, Latin America, and other regions
• Local and global impacts of Chinese foreign direct investment
• The role of government in shaping the “going out” policy and its impact on internationalization
• Chinese state capitalism and alternative economic systems’ impact on globalization
• Sustainable development and corporate social responsibility (CSR) of Chinese multinationals
• Global supply chain/logistics and global value chains with China
• Culture, trust, reputation of Chinese multinationals
• Techno-entrepreneurship, e-commerce, online development in and out of China
• Big data, privacy and digital innovation in China
• Environmental protection and law in China
• Europe and China legal and economic cooperation
• New challenges in technology, innovation and hard sciences in China
• China’s competitors: industry, innovation, and technology in Europe/US/Emerging Countries
Against the backdrop of the severe testing of the global institutional framework caused by the Russian invasion of Ukraine and the lingering Covid-19 challenges, China’s role in globalization is undergoing fundamental changes. We invite interested scholars and practitioners to come together and explore these changes.
Since 2006, China Goes Global conferences have convened a unique set of contributions on the globalization of the Chinese business environment, economy, and society. The conference stands out in several ways. First, the conference is international, inter-disciplinary and developmental in nature. We invite competitive papers, recently published book authors, focused panels and work-in-progress for submission. The conference provides an ideal opportunity for scholars and practitioners, as well as Ph.D. students to share and discuss their most recent high-quality work with other experts in this research field. Best papers are also given the chance to be published in the International Journal of Emerging Markets, a Scopus-ranked journal by Emerald. Second, we have fun. In addition to insightful ideas, the conference also includes a reception, a performance, and great people and scholars with whom you can network. For the review of previous conferences, including a photo gallery, please see: http://www.chinagoesglobal.org/past-conferences/photos-from-past-confere.... Finally, the conference is always accented with world re-known keynoters from the academic and business sectors. For a list of previous keynoters, please see: http://www.chinagoesglobal.org/past-conferences/previous-key-noters/
Please submit your paper through our online submission system no later than March 15, 2023. Papers should follow the author style and referencing guide provided on the conference website. By submitting a paper, all authors also agree to review up to 3 papers.
[Please see www.chinagoesglobal.org for the latest updates on the submission process.]
Deadline for submission: March 15, 2023
Paper acceptance/rejection: April 15, 2023
Revised paper submission: May 15, 2023
Please note that all presenters and participants must register to attend the conference.
Early bird registration due on April 25, 2023: $499
Regular registration due on June 10, 2023: $649
Phd student rate: $249 early bird ($299 regular)
The registration fee includes one-year CGA membership, reception, and conference dinner. Conference registration does not include accommodation or travel costs.
Scientific Organizing Committee
Ilan ALON, University of Ariel, Israel
Julian CHANG, USA
Christoph LATTEMANN, Jacobs University Bremen, Center for Design Thinking-D-Forge, Germany
John R. McINTYRE, Scheller College of Business, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
Francesca SPIGARELLI, University of Macerata, Italy
William WANG Hua, emlyon business school, France
Wenxian ZHANG, Rollins College, USA
Marco Di Tommaso, University of Bologna, CiMET, Italy
China Goes Global – SPONSORSHIP Opportunities
We encourage sponsorships from colleges, universities, and corporations to provide financial support for the annual meeting. By sponsoring, you gain recognition and visibility for your organization. Learn more about our sponsorship tiers at http://www.chinagoesglobal.org/conference/conference-sponsors/.
A warm thank-you to emlyon business school, France, for being a silver sponsor for CGG 2023!
*The Chinese Globalization Association (CGA is a not-for-profit corporation with the aim to promote and disseminate research on Chinese globalization.) For more information, visit: http://www.chinagoesglobal.org/
Wenxian Zhang, Professor
Olin Library, Box 2744
Winter Park, FL 32789 USA