Call for Papers:
The 20th Annual Religion Graduate Student Symposium at Florida State University
February 17 & 18, 2023
This year’s symposium will center on the theme: “Sensational Religion” This is our first in-person symposium since the beginning of the Sars-Cov2 global pandemic and we invite scholars to present papers addressing sensory aspects of the "new normal" for the study of religion. Previous symposia have featured scholars from a wide array of disciplines, universities, and areas. We invite papers from fields as varied as History, Anthropology, Political Science, Literature, Philosophy, Religious Studies, and Classics.
Joseph Winters, Duke University, Religious Studies and African American Studies, will deliver this year’s keynote address.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
• Sensing Religion
• Embodiment, Corporeality, & the Transhuman
• Religion & Hip-hop
• Form and Feeling in Religious Discourse
• Religion & Material Culture
• Religion & Sound
• Affect Theory
• Feeling Space, Building Religion
• Religion, Taste & Foodways
• Religion & the Experiences of Identity-Making: Race, Gender, Disability, Age, Class
• Passing, Hiding, and In/Visibility
• Religion, Disgust, and Heresy
• Exhaustion and Burnout in Religion and its Study
• Panic, Anxiety, and Emergency
• Feeling-Values and the Religious Experience
• Disgust, Pain, Pleasure, Fear, Terror
• Moral & Ethics of Religious Beauty/Ugliness
• State-Mediated Public Emotions
• Ethics of Eco-Aesthetics
Presentations should be approximately 15 to 18 minutes in length and will receive faculty responses. In addition, every year respondents select the best graduate paper to receive the Leo F. Sandon Award, an endowed award named for the Religion Department's former chair. Proposals including an abstract of approximately 300 words, a list of key terms, and institutional affiliation should be submitted by December 1, 2022 for review.
Please submit proposals via this provided link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfC8WJlqAFXTBhdLELLFRcuw5-mypHo...
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to hearing from you and hope to see you at the 2023 Graduate Student Symposium at Florida State University.