The SAH/Mellon Author Awards are designed to provide financial relief to scholars who are publishing their first monograph on the history of the built environment, and who are responsible for paying for rights and permissions for images or for commissioning maps, charts or line drawings in their publications.
Applications for the SAH/Mellon Author Awards will be considered only for book-length, scholarly manuscripts on architectural history and the history of the built environment that are currently under contract with a publisher. Awards are made solely in support of image acquisition or creation, such as for reimbursement of costs for the reproduction and licensing of images in print and digital formats or the creation of original artwork such as drawings or maps. This award does not cover new photography.
Successful applicants will be first-time book authors who are under contract with a publisher for a manuscript on the history of the built environment.
Applications are judged on two primary measures: (1) the quality of the project; and (2) the need for financial assistance on the part of the author.
- Awards are open to authors of all nations; however, applications must be submitted in English.
- Authors can be under contract with commercial or nonprofit publishers. Self-published books are not eligible.
- Books covering all periods and areas in the history of architecture, landscape architecture, urbanism, and related subjects are eligible, except for those about art history and visual studies. Excavation or other technical reports, articles, previously published works (including collections of previously published essays), or congress proceedings are not eligible.
- The author will have received a PhD and must submit proof and date of PhD and current professional standing.
- The author must be a current member of SAH.
- A project that has been rejected for an SAH/Mellon Author Awards grant may not be resubmitted.
The application deadline is May 15, 2016. For application instructions, visit www.sah.org/sah-mellon-author-awards.
SAH is grateful to the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for supporting this award.