February 13, 2023
African History / Studies, Animal Studies, History of Science, Medicine, and Technology, Race / Ethnic Studies, Women's & Gender History / Studies
Call for applicants for a funded writing workshop:
Social History from the Global South: New Voices from Southern Africa. University of the Free State, 13th-15th February 2023.
Thanks to generous funding provided by the British Academy’s ‘Writing Workshop Scheme’, Social History from the Global South: New Voices from Southern Africa' is a three day writing workshop. Successful applicants will receive full travel and accommodation bursaries to attend the workshop. Once in Bloemfontein, participants will be paired with a specialist from their field who will support them in submitting an article to a high-impact journal following the conclusion of the event.
How to apply:
Applications are invited from PhD candidates and early career researchers (within eight years of PhD award) located in the Global South who work on the following aspects of Southern African history:
- Women’s and gender histories;
- Animal histories;
- Histories of childhood and youth;
- Histories of imperialism, empire, and colonialism;
- Histories of labour, mining, and financial speculation;
- Legal histories.
Those interested in the workshop are required to submit:
- An abstract and detailed outline of their proposed article (max.500 words)
- A draft publication plan, include timescales and target journal
- An abridged CV (max 2 sides of A4)
- A brief letter of support (max 500 words) from their supervisor/manager in support of their application
- A short statement (250 words max.) as to why they want to attend the workshop
- A plan (including future commitment) as to how they will disseminate workshop knowledge to colleagues in their networks/institutions
Please send all submissions via email to: email@example.com. Please note that applications that do not conform to the above requirements will be deemed ineligible.
The deadline for applications is 15th October 1700 (BST). Successful applicants will be notified by 1st November.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries. Further information can also be found here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/conference/fac-arts/social-history-from-the...
Lead organiser: Dr Kate Law email@example.com