ERIF is proud to announce the Call for Contributions for its second conference Returning the Gaze Part II. Picking up from our first conference – 2014’s Returning the Gaze: Blackface in Europe – our second edition will continue to present a critical view on European racialised imagery, while approaching from a broader angle the departs from only blackface related themes.
Part II will be hosted at the University of Innsbruck, Austria on the 4th and 5th November 2016 and will examine the usage of racist and racialised imagery across the following topics:
- Introducing Europe: past and present resistance against racialised imagery
- Islamophobia: what this means for “multicultural” Europe in 2016
- Seeking asylum in fortress Europe
- Intersections of race, gender and trans/homophobia in entertainment and advertising
- Images Matter: decoding healthcare and welfare policies
- Decolonising the classroom from primary children to PhD candidates
We welcome proposal submissions for both panel presentations and for activist workshops that address any of the above topics. Note that where relevant, proposals may contain visual and/or audio material.
English Department, Innsbruck University