The Netzwerk Kunst und Kultur der Hansestädte (Network of the Hanseatic Cities’ Art and Culture) invites abstracts for a session of papers at the Renaissance Society of America Annual Conference to be held in San Juan, Puerto Rico from 9-11 March 2023.
From the middle of the twelfth century onwards, Hanse merchants from Middle Low German-speaking areas engaged in long-distance trade and formed an extensive commercial network of both merchants and towns. The surprising resourcefulness of Hanse merchants, however, enabled them to adapt and sustain their kinetic network throughout the early modern period, well into the nineteenth century. Although the Hanse has been traditionally cast as a regional player before early modern global entanglements, this session aims to reconsider outdated perspectives on the pre- and early modern Hanse. We invite papers from any discipline on a topic that offers new approaches to the Hanse. Papers that interrogate the Hanse during early modern global and colonial entanglements are especially welcome.
Potential topics may address but are not limited to:
- the history and visual culture of Hanse cities and Kontore
- Hanse merchants and art patronage
- trade and exchange of the Baltic Sea region
- postcolonial approaches to artistic geography and/or Hanseatic art
- the Hanse in the “Age of Encounter”
- connected histories and the Hanse
- enslavement and trade inequities
- the Hanse and the Atlantic
- historiography of Hanse studies
Founded in 2011, the Netzwerk Kunst und Kultur der Hansestädte serves as the platform for the international and interdisciplinary exchange of scholars on the subject of the Hanse and is open to all interested.
- paper title
- abstract (150-word max.)
- full name, affiliation, and email address
- brief (1 page) cv/resume
- PhD anticipated completion date, if still in progress
Presenters must be RSA members at the time of the conference.
Please see https://www.rsa.org/page/ConferenceSubmissionsGuide#guidelines for additional information about submissions. Submitters will be notified by 10 August 2022.