Call for Papers
We are pleased to announce the Call for Papers for our next Annual Conference,‘Populism and Illiberalism in East, Central and Southeast Europe’. The conference will take place on 15-17 September 2022 at Maynooth University, with the option of online or in person participation.
We invite panels and individual papers that represent interdisciplinary and/ or comparative approaches from scholars across subjects in humanities: history, media studies, sociology, anthropology, cultural studies, literature, linguistics, art, gender and queer studies. Possible themes include but are not limited to the following:
- New/Old alliances supporting the establishment of illiberal populist regimes
- The role of media, social media/digital technology and rhetoric in fuelling illiberal populism
- Forms of censorship in social and cultural life
- Restrictive gender policies, “war against gender” and against LGBTQ+
- Forms of protests and resistance to illiberal and/or authoritarian tendencies and policies
- Organisations and institutions of local and global reach supporting the rise of illiberal populist policies, and those opposing them
- Art at the service of illiberal governments; as well as literary, music and popular art responses to restrictive social policie
Please send your title, 400-word abstract, 150-word bio, contact details and affiliation (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please indicate the preferred format of the presentation.
Proposal deadline: 28 July 2022
Notifications of acceptance: 2 August