Open Archaeology invites manuscripts for the Special Issue on Archaeology of Migration: Moving Beyond Historical Paradigms.
The aim of this Special Issue is to bring together papers that explore a variety of up-to-date paradigms, perspectives, and methodologies for visualizing human mobility in the past and present through the lens of material culture. We welcome contributions discussing all geographical regions and a chronological time frame from the Paleolithic through the present day.
We invite papers on topics related to (but not necessarily limited to):
- new theoretical models for understanding migration and mobility in the past,
- disciplinary histories/historiographies of approaches to migration and recent re-evaluations,
- scientific methodologies for detecting human mobility (aDNA, stable isotope analysis, etc.),
- discussion of the intersection of migrant identities with other socially-constructed identities, such as race, ethnicity, gender, status or class, etc.,
- scales of mobility, e.g. what it means to be local/non-local, variable distances and timeframes of migration, group vs individual movement.
We are looking forward to your submission up to 02 October 2022. Instructions for authors can be found through the Call at the link below. If you have any further questions, please contact the guest editors Hagit Nol or Catharine Judson.