CON-IH 17 || Global and International History: Migration, Immigration and Diaspora March 9th and 10th 2017 at Harvard University
The organizing committee for the Harvard Graduate Student Conference on International History (Con-IH) invites graduate students to submit proposals for its seventeenth annual conference. This year’s theme is migration in international and global history. The conference will take place at Harvard University on Thursday March 9th & Friday March 10th 2017.
Human migration, immigration and diasporas have played a fundamental role in world development and continue to do so. The forced and free movements of people throughout history intersect with some of the most important subjects of urbanization, imperialism, slavery, capitalism and globalization. Con-IH 17 seeks to discuss cutting-edge studies that take up the subject of migration in international, regional, and global historical context, for any era from Antiquity to the present, and proceeding outward from any world region.
We especially welcome submissions that address one or more of the following themes, but the list is suggestive only:
1) Migration during earlier periods of globalization
2) Regimes of immigration restriction, policing and registration
3) Forced migration and the mobilization of labor
4) Internal or domestic migration and its relationship to economic development and urbanization 5) The relationship between sub-national groups and/or businesses and migration
6) Borders and the control of borders
7) The diffusion of culture and language
8) Social, cultural and intellectual dimensions of diaspora
9) Maritime crossings and oceanic migration
Accepted papers will be grouped for presentation within five or six panels each composed of graduate students and one faculty commentator per presenter. Con-IH thus provides an opportunity to engage in lively and lengthy discussions with an emerging cohort of researchers in training from around the world, as well as with faculty from Harvard and elsewhere.
Graduate students interested in participating in the conference should submit a 300-word proposal and one-page curriculum vitae (in Word or PDF format) to email@example.com. Proposals must be received by December 1st, 2016 in order to be considered. We anticipate being able to reimburse reasonable travel and lodging expenses for all participants. As the date approaches, additional information will be posted on the conference website at con-ih.com.