The Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia (IKGA) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW), the largest non-university institution for basic research in Austria, is seeking to fill a
POSTDOC POSITION (F*M)
(full-time, 40h per week)
with a focus on "classical Indian philosophy" (non-Buddhist) starting on January 1, 2022.
• Conducting independent research on classical Indian philosophy based on original language sources in Sanskrit. The focus should be in the area of one or more of the non-Buddhist schools (Nyāya, Vaiśeṣika, Mīmāṃsā, Sāṅkhya, Vedānta, Jainism, or materialism). Consideration of interactions with the philosophy of Buddhism is desired.
• Supporting other research projects at the Institute with expertise
• Participating in the institute's activities by (co-)organizing academic events
• Completed PhD in Indology, Classical South Asian Studies or a related field
• Excellent knowledge of Sanskrit; excellent knowledge of English; knowledge of German is desirable
• International publications and lectures (corresponding to academic age); international network
• Flexibility, strong communication skills, creativity, ability to work in a team
The position will be awarded on a fixed-term basis for 3 years.
We offer an annual gross salary of € 49.718,34 according to the collective agreement of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Depending on experience and qualifications, the salary can be negotiated. Funds for conference and research travel as well as for the organization of scholarly events are available within the limits of the institute's budget.
Please send your application materials including a cover letter, curriculum vitae, list of publications, and an outline of current and planned research (2–3 pages) as one PDF document and without further attachments
via email to email@example.com (subject "Application Indian Philosophy – Job ID: IKGA094PD121") no later than October 15, 2021.