The Yogacara Studies Unit writes with an update about our panels at the upcoming remote meeting of the American Academy of Religion (AAR) as well as upcoming elections for Unit leadership positions. This year's AAR meeting will be online only. For information about how to access sessions, visit the AAR's page here:
A) AAR 2020: The Yogacara Studies Unit is sponsoring or co-sponsoring the following sessions at this year's AAR meeting. Abstracts and speakers' names can be found on the AAR's online program book here: https://papers.aarweb.org/online-program-book
1) Text panel: Yogācāra in Dharmakīrti: Pramāṇavārttika 3.194–224, on Wednesday, December 2, 4:00 PM-5:30 PM (EST UTC-5).
The text panel is our flagship session every year. Attendees are encouraged to read the relevant sections of text ahead of time and to be prepared to participate in discussion with questions and comments. We have compiled relevant texts at this Dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ufiw7ahyaiiobpo/AAAbyluAaCqsvetPJmkM8YDfa?dl=0
2) Debating Consciousness from Abhidharma to Contemporary Philosophy, on Wednesday, December 2, 9:00 AM-10:30 AM (EST UTC-5).
3) Roundtable on Roy Tzohar's *A Yogācāra Buddhist Theory of Metaphor* (Oxford University Press, 2018), on Thursday, December 3, 1:45 PM-3:15 PM (EST UTC-5)
4) Yogācāra As Idealism? The State of the Debate and New Avenues of Inquiry, on Tuesday, December 8, 9:00 AM-11:00 AM (EST UTC-5).
5) The Unit's Business Meeting will occur during the last half hour of the Yogacara as Idealism panel. If you are interested in the work of the Unit, you are invited to attend. Attendees are welcome to leave the Yogacara as Idealism session before the Business Meeting or to join the Business Meeting after the panel ends (at 10:30 am EST).
B) Upcoming leadership elections: In early 2021, the Yogacara Studies Unit will hold elections for 1 new steering committee member and 1 new co-chair. If you are interested in standing for election, please contact either of the two current co-chairs, Roy Tzohar (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Joy Brennan (email@example.com). Anyone is invited to stand for election to the steering committee. Co-chairs are usually people who have already served a term on the steering committee at some point in the past.
We look forward to seeing you virtually over the next two weeks at our online sessions!
Roy Tzohar, Tel-Aviv University, Yogacara Studies Unit Co-chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Joy Brennan, Kenyon College, Yogacara Studies Unit Co-chair (email@example.com)