(posted on H-Net Job Guide, https://www.h-net.org/jobs/job_display.php?id=58619)
Shambhala Publications and its Snow Lion imprint seek an energetic, experienced editor with strong knowledge, interest, and expertise in the area of Indo-Tibetan Buddhist traditions. We have many great book projects forthcoming and are delighted to be expanding our team. Some level of familiarity with Tibetan language is important, and some Sanskrit is a plus but not required.
This position will be primarily focused on Indo-Tibetan Buddhism books, but projects may include other types of content across the Shambhala list. Projects include translations, scholarly works, and broad audience trade books.
- Editing of original manuscripts and translations (including all editorial aspects of book development—copy and developmental editing; writing jacket and website copy, title information sheets for sales reps, and other marketing copy as required; scheduling and coordinating the publication process with authors and other departments, etc.)
- Collaborating with production, design, marketing and publicity departments
- Regularly attending and actively participating in editorial meetings
- Managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Acting as the primary point of contact for authors throughout the book process
- Demonstrated experience in developmental and copy editing
- Familiarity with the book publishing processes and functions (editorial, production, design, copyediting, marketing, sales)
- Strong understanding of Chicago Manual of Style
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and networking skills
- Excellent computer skills, especially with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Excellent organizational, and project management skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative, flexible, and able to prioritize a varied workload
- Extensive knowledge of Tibetan Buddhism and some Tibetan language training
- A Master’s and/or PhD in a related field is desired but not required
- Previous experience in publishing is desired but not required
The position is full-time, with a strong preference for location in our Boulder, Colorado, office.