Dear friends of the Chinese Religions Unit:
With the deadline for AAR panel and paper submissions coming up on March 4 at 5:00 pm EST, we wanted to remind you of the topics proposed for our Call for Papers:
· Animals in Chinese Religions
· Comparative Technical Aspects of Devotional Rites
· Sinicization of Religion in Contemporary China
· Religion and Property
· Buddhism and Disability (with the Buddhism Unit and/or the Religion and Disability Studies Unit)
· Textual and Visual Images of Female Deities in Chinese Devotional Practices (with the Art, Literature, and Religion Unit)
· Later Tiantai Buddhism in China (with the Buddhism Unit)
· Chinese Muslims, State Persecution, and Uighur Communities (with the Study of Islam Unit)
You are also welcome to submit panels on topics that do not appear in our Call for Papers, and to submit individual papers for consideration. We encourage panel organizers to make every effort to put together diverse groups of scholars.
Please keep in mind that AAR submissions require 1000-word proposals and 150-word abstracts for each paper, as well as for the panel as a whole. In addition, the AAR gives us the option of having more 90-minute sessions or fewer 2.5-hour sessions, so in the interest of accepting as many good panels as possible, we especially welcome panels that have been designed for a 90-minute slot.
Please email me and/or Anna Sun if you want to be put in touch with the contact person for one of the topics in our Call for Papers, if you want feedback on a paper or panel proposal, or if you have questions about anything else related to the Chinese Religions Unit. We hope to see you in San Diego in November!
Megan Bryson and Anna Sun