The CfP below might be interesting to those with Buddhist community links; share freely.
Professor Bee Scherer, PhD
Director, INCISE research centre, http://incise.center
Canterbury Christ Church University, U.K.
Call for Participation
9th International Lay Buddhist Forum
“Lay Buddhists - Roles and Relations: Buddhist Lives of Mindful Transformation”
Oct. 25-29, 2018
Nakhon Pathom (นครปฐม), Thailand
Dear Buddhist friends and practitioners-cum-scholars,
We are delighted to announce the 9th International Lay Buddhist Forum to be held in Nakhon Pathom, Thailand, October, 25-29 2018, locally organized by devoted Thai Lay Buddhists.
The forum will take place in the very province traditionally seen as the cradle of Buddhism in Thailand and will coincide with H.M. King Rama 9th's cremation anniversary.
Two full days of programmed events (26-27 Oct) will be followed by a one-day temple tour (28 Oct).
The theme of this year’s forum is “Lay Buddhists - Roles and Relations: Buddhist Lives of Mindful Transformation.”
Participants are welcomed from all Buddhist schools of thought and practice. We particularly encourage the participation of (lay) Buddhist teachers; community leaders; educators; and youth representatives.
The forum will bring together Buddhists from around the globe who want to engage actively with the programme on a shared journey of discovery and learning about Buddhist transformative life practices. Participants will contribute to the discussions, workshops, and round-tables. A limited amount of academic papers and panels will complement the forum. The two full days of the programme will be followed by a one- day temple tour.
All aspiring participants should send a proposal indicating their Buddhist affiliation (if any) and a statement of around 200 words indicating their suggested contribution relating the forum’s theme “Lay Buddhists - Roles and Relations: Buddhist Lives of Mindful Transformation”.
The 200-word submission may consist of
- a suggested contribution to a discussion topic (example topics below)
- the presentation of a Buddhist organisation’s approach to transformative lay life
- an academic paper abstract
- an individual motivational statement, e.g. under the heading ‘How does Buddhism transform my daily life?’
- a workshop/practice contribution (dharma activity, sharing, meditation etc.)
Topics may include, but are not limited to,
- Sharing All-day Compassion and Wisdom: Buddhist Ethics and Right Livelihood in Practice
- Mindful Buddhist Social and Political Engagement
- Buddhist organisations: Transforming Hearts and Societies
- Householders, Yogis, Leaders: Inspirational Lay Buddhists and their relevance for Buddhist Life today
Please send your proposal to email@example.com, with a copy to Ms. Kathy Monaco:firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Information about the ILBF can be found at: https://laybuddhistforum.wordpress.com/
In case of further questions, please email email@example.com (copying firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Proposal deadline: March 15, 2018.