The LGBTQ Studies Area of MAPACA invites proposals for the 2021 Virtual Conference, which will be held November 10-13, 2021. We seek papers or panels of relevance to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer communities.
Research in this area uses interdisciplinary ways of thinking to understand the development and construction of sexual identity and the diversity of sexuality in society. We welcome contemporary, critical, and/or historical perspectives.
Topics of interest include but are not limited to:
• Apps and dating in the digital age
• “Bury your gays,” queerbaiting, and television representation
• Drag culture and performance
• Femininities, masculinities, intersections of gender and sexuality
• Globalization, tourism, and queer migration
• LGBTQ Cinema
• Queer philosophy and ethics
• Pride celebrations
• Race + sexuality, including Black queer studies and the Latinx experience
• Sexuality and social justice
• Shipping, slash fiction, and fandom
• Trans identity and issues
• (In)visibility in sports
• Any other examination of the LGBTQ experience in popular culture
We encourage submissions from all theoretical and methodological approaches.
Deadline: July 15, 2021
To submit your proposal, visit mapaca.net.